Sunday, April 11, 2010

One another busy week

Heya all!

Another Sunday arrived to it's time to sum up passing 7 days.
And I must say - once again lots was going on in my miniatures hobby!

So we start with technical update once again - and I must assure you there will be more sooner or later.
I've been testing some ideas for new blog's banner (current one is not "clear" enough in my opinion) but none of them was good enough to be used. Any ideas maybe? If so - there's post comment button below the post you know ;)
Another change was my logo: I've been trying to make it myself last weekend but finally gave up - I'm definitely not good at using GIMP or Photoshop...
So I was advised to ask professionals for help and I did it: thanks to Ewa and Kacper from Projektovnia Studio I have nice and shiny new logo! I think sooner or later I'm gonna ask these guys for help in making up new banner and who knows - maybe new layout of the site...

Another good news is I put Dante's Inferno on auction and despite there's still one day for bidding left there are already 2 bidders! The game was just not my taste - I finished it and don't wanna see it again. So I decided to replace it for something more playable: Sid Meier's Civilization. I downloaded demo of the game and like it so far - time to make Elbląg capital city of the world hehehe!

Speaking of auctions I think I managed to solve the problem of lack of Ebay-friendly models on my work station: on Friday I got mounted Archaon for about 50% of retail price: it's chaos, it's heavy armoured and iirc has nice gaming rules so I think it will be good shot. I am also watching some oldschool Death Guard models - I've always wanted to paint them so I think I now may have the occasion. Besides it's also Chaos models they should meen to problems in finding new home.

There's more news related to Ebay: last week I managed to sell Sorcerer of Nurgle but also Champion of Nurgle got the bid! So looks like I finally managed to find perfect models for my painting skills: easy and enjoyable to paint, looking effective and selling well!
I regret there'll be no auction this time but passing week was dominated but something else than auction stuff:

Mid Nors once again!
I am happy because I managed to paint small diorama for my mysterious miniatures provider within a week. The client asked me to base colors on official paintjob. I used these tones on scourge bearer but painted it in the way I like the most - worn and dirty. Unfortunately client hoped to see minis more colorful so the sentinel is clean and shiny almost like Xmas tree.
All you have to do to see close up is clicking the picture below - hope you like it!

Mid Nor diorama

The last hobby news (moreover: very good news!) is I learnt my entry sent for Salty Dog painitng contest organized by No Quarter Magazine qualified and will be pronted in May issue!
I also learnt Eric, who was my contact at NQ, doesn't work there anymore so that was the reason of no replies for materials I've been sending. Fortunately new guy seems to be competent so I hope out cooperation will be going smoothly.
And because I know what is theme of next painting challenge on friday night I started gathering materials and washing off minis so I can prepare something really dirty and muddy. The deadline is May 1st so I think I'll take some days off so I can make it on time...

Take care!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    First things first - overall I like the design of the banner but I think that the letters are slightly too bright and they kind of merge with the graphics in the background, which makes it hard to make out what's written there. Different colours or more contrast here would probably be a good idea.

    I really like the colours you used for the diorama and the contrast created between these two... (hmmm, wonder what they actually are). The quality of the painting is top notch, especially taking into account the fact that you needed only one week to complete it.

    Keep it up, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Viruk!

    I know banner is to be redone - in fact I've been testing some banner versions in the office (instead of working tbh - thank Cthulhu my boss is off for a week) but haven't got anything "catchy" enough so far. I really wouldn't like to put painted minis on banner - LOTS of hobby related sites has such banners...

    And I'm glad You like dwarf deaders - one wielding halberd was painted the way I like the most, the secoond one - well my client wanted bright colors so he got it. Careful what you wish for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Working" while at work, isn't it what we're all doing ;)

    Choosing the right banner for a blog is not an easy thing as you always want to have one that would be original and go well with the profile. I like the idea of creating a completely new one, though personally I went for one that has minis in it. Well, "de gustibus non est disputandum".


    Pozdrowienia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted something much more clear but don't think it's what I want to see.
    Oh well - it's time to start browsing minis I can use for banner...

    ReplyDelete